Saturday 2 March 2013

How I worry when there is unusual calm at Thing Central

Today at Thing Central, it was unusually quiet.
I always worry when it is quiet.
But alas, today there was no need. I was treated to three very well behaved Things.

I should update you that, after his karate/ninja moves effort to fight off bugs on Wednesday, Thing 1 was sent home poorly on Thursday morning .... For the very first time in his schooling career. He spent the rest of the day chilling on the settee, watching DVDs and dozing.
Friday morning he was still not 100% so I let him stay off school. That suited me better too, as from Friday I took over the running of our local playgroup (with a great team of mums and toast makers alongside me - which I am eternally grateful for as making toast for three Things is a major task for me, let alone having to do it for a room full of big and little people!). I got to the building, set up with the help of Things 2 & 3 and I'm pleased to say it went rather well! I even kept my OCD at bay as Things 2 & 3 unarranged all the toys I'd set out strategically.

We ended up descending on our good friends, postmistress and decorator, for lunchtime.
As a number of parents helped tidy away all the toys at playgroup, I severely mis-scheduled my timings and to walk back home would've meant setting back off to school as we reached the front door, and no lunch for Thing 2.
All was good. Thing 2 ate her lunch, decorator put cbeebies on and did really well pretending he doesn't tune in EVERY lunchtime, Thing 3 ate some lunch, harassed postmistress and decorators dog-pony (really its only a dog, but Thing 3 is under the impression she can climb on its back) and then Thing 3 melted white chocolate buttons all over my cardigan and left trouser leg. I looked a scruffy Herbert taking Thing 2 up to school.

We returned home on Friday afternoon to find that Thing 1 had fought off his illness and was now roly-poly-ing across the room and clambering up the walls ......

This morning all three Things awoke rather early. I was awoken by Thing 3 smacking me in the face and then calling ME a 'bad baby'.

All three Things played nicely with toys. They watched a DVD. Then they played on the Nintendo Wii that we've had since last July and that has been on about ten times since. What a novelty for them! Those three Things loved it. Thing 1 & 2 played for ages, really well together. We tricked Thing 3 by giving her a nunchuck that's given up the ghost.... She thought she was playing and that's what matters.

Thing 1 walked into the kitchen to discover that Things' dad has fitted a new latch on the back door: he gasped, ran to it. 'Ooooh, shiny!', he said, as he stroked and caressed it. Seriously, that Thing Is going places!

The Things put a DVD on whilst I made tea. I caught Thing 2 with her arm around Thing 1's shoulders. Very sweet.
They even went to bed without any problem. What a lovely Saturday ..... Roll on Sunday!







No comments:

Post a Comment